Why Nike’s New NFL Uniforms Will Lead to Improved Performance on the Field
NIKE Yesterday Nike revealed a new NFL uniform for all thirty-two NFL teams and while the majority of the uniforms are traditional in NFL style the technology of the uniform is new for all thirty-two teams.
Nike used fabric and design that will keep a player cooler, as well as dryer, and most of all lighter which will also increase player performance.
Now while some say a uniform cannot increase a player’s ability to run faster, jump higher, or stay on the field longer that this is all in the “athletes head” need to seriously consider the changes made to the uniforms.
Nike has taken the NFL uniform and made the overall function better starting with the fabric used to keep players cooler. The fabric is different from the old uniforms offering better air circulation called cooling zones. This will also keep players dryer which leads to less over heating so players stay on the field longer.
The new uniform will increase player performance due to the increased flexibility in the fabric and the Flywire design will help seal the pads with out decreasing motion in the upper body.
Nike took NFL player input to create a uniform that functions as a second layer of skin rather than a just a uniform. Chicago Bear Brian Urlacher described the benefit of the Flywire design by describing a common problem middle linebackers have with offensive linemen; “harder to be held, which is good since I get held on every play.” SI.com
The changes to the NFL uniform are best described by Nike.
THE NIKE ELITE 51 – A COMPLETELY INTEGRATED SYSTEM OF DRESS
Key features include:
- LIGHTER –The Nike jersey and pant, wet or dry are lighter than previous versions
- FLYWIRE TECHNOLOGY- Eliminates layers, reduces weight, and provides lockdown fit
- ZONED MESH VENTILATION – Provides cooling zones for optimal thermoregulation
- ZONED STRENGTH - High tenacity, stretch material, for light weight lockdown strength.
- CUT FOR MOBILITY – Four-way stretch, hydrophobic materials enable range of motion wet or dry.
- STRETCH TWILL NUMBERS – Four-way stretch even on numbering system
- CUSTOMIZABLE BASELAYER PADDING – Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong baselayer with integrated lightweight, Deflex padding offering customizable flexible protection.
- DEFLEX PADDING - Lightweight, flexible impact protection integrated into top “hit zone” areas
- ALUMINUM D-RING BELT - Aircraft-grade aluminum D-ring belt reduces weight.
Now while the Seattle Seahawks are the first team to have a newly designed uniform in appearance the truth is all thirty-two NFL teams have a new uniform.
Greenbay Packer TightEnd Jermichael Finley points out the psychological advantage of the the Seahawks new style; ”If you look good, you play good. If you play good, you get paid good. The Seahawks have the best uniform out there right now.” SI.com
The Packers changing uniform design may be a long shot but the overall performance of the Packers uniform is the same as the Seahawks uniforms.
While Finley buys into the “feel good look good” idea I wouldn’t bet on the Seahawks going undefeated in the 2012 NFL season but at least they will look good losing.